Skip to content
Advertisements

Skyler the Smiler

March 16, 2008

She’s back! Not 100%, but this morning when I arrived in her room, she was wide awake and greeted me with the sweetest smile I think I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t the biggest smile ever, but when you haven’t seen your baby’s smile in so long, any curve of the lips and sparkle in the eye can be the most rewarding thing. I laughed and smiled and cried all at the same time I think! She even let me play peekaboo with her a little. She gave me some coy little smirks like this game is so 5 minutes ago but at least she was humoring me!

The nurse just came in and turned down her Milrinone for the first time since we’ve been here! Granted, she is taking some other heart meds, but weaning from any medicine is progress, especially from the one that’s been the most constant throughout her stay. Her next heart sonogram was moved up to tomorrow, originally planned for Tuesday. I hope that means they are expecting progress so maybe we can move to the cardiac rehab floor and out of PICU.

Right now Skyler is staring at me from across the room as I type. Each time I look up at her she smiles at me. This has got to be one of the best mornings ever!

Advertisements
8 Comments leave one →
  1. JoAnn S. permalink
    March 16, 2008 4:40 pm

It made me so happy to read this as I checked it this morning! How wonderful to see Skyler smiling again! I hope that this means good progress for her, we will continue to send thoughts and prayers your direction until she is out of the hospital and on her way to recovery.

2. Grammy K permalink
    March 16, 2008 5:27 pm

I cried when you told me and still when I think of that moment, I can’t help but tear up. All through this, she hasn’t forgotten the love of her mommy and daddy. You guys are her safe place. And she’s still going to be that little sweet thing she was before. Just maybe alittle more spoiled cuz who’s going to let her lay by herself for very long. 🙂

3. meagan permalink
    March 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Yeah!!! I am so glad she is feeling better. We miss you guys. Give her a kiss for me and tell Ronnie I will be sending my little pony toys to her the rest of her childhood. 🙂

4. Kim permalink
    March 17, 2008 1:07 am

What a wonderful day!

5. Maria permalink
    March 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Makes me tear up reading about Skyler’s smiles! So good to hear!

6. Amy B. permalink
    March 17, 2008 1:23 pm

That’s fantastic that she is smiling at you so consistently now. I’m sure Skyler’s smiles will give you the strength to get through the rest of her recovery.

7. Miranda permalink
    March 17, 2008 4:33 pm

AWESOME ABOUT THE SMILES!! SOOOO GOOD TO HEAR=)

Trackbacks

1. Bikers for Babies KC 2009 « My Two (cents)